Auroras Seen as Far South as Georgia and Arkansas

June 23rd, 2015 by Roy W. Spencer, Ph. D.

The severe geomagnetic storm late yesterday produced rare auroras seen as far south as Georgia and Arkansas last night.

This photo was taken by Tyler Penland, an astronomer and weather observer in N. Georgia:

Rare aurora over N. Georgia on 23 June 2015 (Tyler Penland).

Rare aurora over N. Georgia on 23 June 2015 (Tyler Penland).

The display was more spectacular farther north, of course. Here’s a photo from Billings, MT:

Aurora in Billings, MT, 23 June 2015 (Ben Chorn).

Aurora in Billings, MT, 23 June 2015 (Ben Chorn).

And in Denoir Valley, WY, the colors were amazing, with no FM radio station reception during the peak in the display around midnight:

Denoir Valley, WY aurora on 23 June 2015 (Mike Kenny)

Denoir Valley, WY aurora on 23 June 2015 (Mike Kenny)

In Marquette, MI, Shawn Malone (LakeSuperiorPhoto.com) captured this view looking right up through the ribbons of light:

Marquette, MI view of the 23 June 2015 aurora display (Shawn Malone, LakeSuperiorPhoto.com).

Marquette, MI view of the 23 June 2015 aurora display (Shawn Malone).

The same solar storm brought rare auroras to Australia as well:

Aurora Australis captured in Victoria, Australia on 22 June 2015 (Caitlin Gordon).

More aurora photos from the current event can be seen at the SpaceWeather.com realtime image gallery.

17 Responses to “Auroras Seen as Far South as Georgia and Arkansas”

Toggle Trackbacks

1. LWJR says:

Sun Judgment of Revelation now in full play. Last blood moon coming, signalling the final stage of God’s plan.

• Gawd says:

Hopefully you and the global warming alarmists will be taken

• GuyAboveMeIsANigger says:

Hopefully you will be sodomized with a canoe and left to rot in a jungle with your anus bleeding out.

• Norman says:

Why do you come here and post the 15 year-old boy material?

Where do you guys come from and why do you have this need to post when you have nothing of value to say?

2. ObamaDreamerJose says:

Oh my god , the sky is falling !

3. Me says:

Geomagnetic reversal in progress , could cause some abnormal weather too.

4. arteest says:

I am just enjoying the beautifully painted canvas that was posted in the sky for all to enjoy. I don’t fear the world’s end. What is to fear? Why is there so much pessimism in an obvious work of art? This type of art doesn’t happen very often and when it does you should allow yourself to enjoy the awesomeness of it without pessimistic thoughts.

• ossqss says:

Well, if it were a stronger event, Carrington level (1859), you would probably not be viewing this page right now and be digging out the flashlights and candles for tonight 😉

5. Michael Chaunce says:

I’m writing this from my coffin since I died in the Great East Coast Floods of 2014. You know, the floods caused by the ice caps melting and inundating the East Coast… You Al Gore-loving wackos are priceless!

6. David in Ardmore says:

Dr. Spencer,

If the sky’s clear tonight, any chance we could see this from Monte Sano or some other high point around here?

Thanks for sharing with us.

7. Ben Hutchinson says:

Were there any auroras visible in Seattle last night? I live in Seattle and was planning to stay up to watch them, but I was so tired by the time midnight came around (I’ve heard that auroras are usually best seen around midnight) that I just went to bed. I really hope I didn’t miss anything spectacular.

What is the forecast for auroras tonight, in comparison to last night, particularly in the Seattle area? Yes I know that for a day or two after the impact of a CME, auroras will be stronger compared to times that there is not a CME impact underway, but are they usually better on the first day of the CME impact? Or are they usually better the next day, after the earth’s magnetic field has had a longer time to collect all of the CME’s charged particles?

8. jimc says:

Ive never seen one in the flesh. I sometimes wonder if those colors are real or some adjustment in the camera or post processing. And what molecules give off those colors?

9. Let ‘s see earthquake activity for the rest of this month into the first week of July following this geomagnetic storm versus before. I want to see if another pick up occurs and if so by how much.

10. Rich Forrester says:

Hey, there has been some controversy about the effects of sunspots on climate. Do you have any opinions on this subject ? Could you write an article ? Thanks.

RichFor.